Thursday, May 25, 2006

Food For Thought

Now, I typically don't like reading theSun. I think it is a pile of sensationalist toss trying to pass itself off as "hard hitting journalism" (hur hur) and that it is only one small step up from The Malay Mail. Everytime I read it, I feel like hurling it across the room and the only reason I faithfully pick one up everyday from outside the cafeteria is because I can get kitty litter-box lining for free.

But I read the one I picked up yesterday out of sheer boredom and came across this bit I liked. It is from Shanon Shah's article about women's rights in Malaysia (or its almost non-existence and ridiculous attitude towards it) in general:-

"It's not a chicken-and-egg situation. The truth is, Malaysians are not starved for information, and Malaysia is not lacking in credible individuals and institutions that are capable of making meaningful change. What we are really lacking is the political will to create meaningful change, whether in policy or public attitudes."

- credited to Toni Kasim, a member of the NGO delegation to the UN's Cedaw review of Malaysia.


When will we be able to see a change? I would run for Prime Minister, only I think having a uterus disqualifies me. Besides, my breasts would probably cause a month-long debate for being too gatal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One potato, two potato, three potato... go!