Monday, April 05, 2004

Are We Sheep of Society?

What a rejuvenating weekend!

Was over at Min's for a mini-slumber party. It was only an eetsy-beetsy party, as there were only 2 guests who, incidentally, only arrived at 11-ish .. but what we lacked in quantity, we made up for in quality.

Despite it being close to midnight, I arrived to the happy splish-sploshing of Min and Intan who *simply couldn't wait* for my arrival before jumping into the pool. Babysitting duties had to come first, la... Nevertheless, I managed to join them in good time, and what began as an oh-so-chilly dip evolved into a full-fledged catching-up-on-the-latest-gossip session (of which, due to the 2-month incarceration, I was woefully behind on!), some semi-exercise, a mini refresh-your-vocabulary lesson by Intan, and a thorough testing of the amazing amplifying properties of water. We really should have gone round apologizing to your neighbours in the morning!

This was then followed by "Mona Lisa Smile", where not only did the students of Wellesley College and Ms Catherine Watson learn a few lessons, but so did I. Comparisons to "Dead Poets Society" are inevitable, but while critics (other critics, that is. ;op) condemn MLS to being a poorer 'copy' of DPS, I beg to differ. While it is true that the basis of the movies are alike, but even in similar circumstances, many different lessons may be taught .. and learned.

Although I did not find the movie 'powerful', it nevertheless made quite an impression on me. This may strongly be due to the fact that it is a story about women and I am a woman. :o) It also made me realise how lucky I am to be a woman living in this present era.

It also makes me wonder: Had I been a woman of that era (i.e. the 50's), would I have held those same values and ideals dear? Which further brings me to the issue of whether should we, in this present day and age, allow society's ideals and demands set the mould for the shapes of our lives and guide our decisions? For if we do, then are we really any different from the women portrayed in that movie?

I thought that that was the singular lesson of that movie: not allowing the common census dictate the pattern of which your life would follow.

Understandably, there is a reason why Norms of Society are Norms of Society, but I have long held the belief that unless you yourself agree with said Norms because they truly are what you believe in, not just what everyone else says is right, then who's to say that just because it is a Norm that it is right?

Ooh .. long sentence. Sorry. :o)

Humans being humans vary greatly, and frankly, I find the rigid rules of society to be unfairly unaccomodating. After all, who is to say that sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander? Yes, yes, I know, the idiom originally means something else, but really, who is to say that sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander .. unless, of course, the gander himself says so! lol .. Me and my convoluted theories ..

This is plainly illustrated in the movie. To the girls, getting married is the ultimate ambition, Ms Watson tells them no, it isn't and it shouldn't be, but one of the girls then discovers that yes, it can be because it is what I believe in and most importantly, it is what I want.

This is my whole point, that society's ideals shouldn't influence what we, personally, hold ideal. Too many times I see people aspiring to be something society tells them to be, what society tells them they should be. I find it sad, and more than a little infuriating .. but most especially with the people who perpetuate the vicious cycle!

*Argh! Don't even get me started on the so-called "Pillars" and "Creme de la Creme" of Society! Exemplars my @$$!! I've never seen a bunch of more self-serving, self-important, self-absorbed Herd of Cattle my entire (23-and-a-half years of) life!!! If they are what society, in general, should aspire to, then it is in my humble opinion that society is going down the drain.*

Hmm.. maybe not so humble after all. So much for my resolution to be less judgemental this year.

No, I don't hold in high regard society's ideals nor public opinion, because ultimately, you are the one who has to live with yourself the most. It's not like you have much of a choice anyways, so why be something you're uncomfortable being, or more importantly, someone you're not? I realise what I have to say next may come across as sounding selfish, but I can't live my life for other people. Why should I work so hard at pleasing other people instead of working to please me? I'm no less important than everybody else, and if I don't please me, then who will? Moreover, if I am not pleased with myself, then how can other people be pleased with me?

Call a rogue a rogue? :o) I believe in self-preservation: preservation of my own happiness, preservation of my sanity, and preservation of my principles, integrity and individuality. If my ideals happen to conform to societal norms, so be it; and if they don't, then So. Be. It. I'm making myself happy. Not to the exclusion of others, of course. I am not so self-absorbed! lolz .. But I've learned that I am the only one who can be depended on to take care of Me.

*Ahem* Back to the 'slumber party'. :oD We finally dropped off to sleep at about 3.30am .. slept like logs. I have no idea if I snored, but I was so tired I don't remember dreaming at all. Next thing I knew, Intan came in after being awake hours before we finally woke and Min was verbally dragging me out of bed.

Lunch with the girlygirls was super fun! It was officially in honour of Huda's birthday, but did we ever need a reason to have fun?? :oD lolz ... Still, an early Happy Birthday to Huda! OoOoooOoOOooh .. and the food was superb .. *yum*

My only .. "regret" .. was not being able to go window shopping. :o( lol! I have happily found a new shopping 'kaki'. Finally, one who will be able to match me step-by-millionth-happy-step in the quest for the perfect .. whatever! lolz .. Again, do we really need a reason to have fun? Heheee .. Takpe. Next Saturday we'll go to Ratu with Auntie Arfah .. then we can visit the British India kat GEM, ok Intan? *awaiting the arrival of Saturday with devilish glee*

No comments:

Post a Comment

One potato, two potato, three potato... go!