Thursday, February 24, 2005

Simple Sentiments

For those of you who didn't know, I hate listening to the radio. I hate it. Hate it, hate it, absolutely hate it. I can't stand the inane chit-chattering of tong kosong DJs, I hate the stoooooopid radio ads (altho once in a while you get a few priceless gems *winkz*), and I will never (NEVER!!) be able to fully express just how thoroughly I detest their musical selections.

[snip]
Once upon a time, there used to be a rock-a-licious radio station where the DJs didn't love the sound of their own voices, the ads were amazingly low, the callers were at least semi-intelligent/coherent and the music was good. It was called Classic Rock. Unfortunately, as with all good things, it came to an unfortunate demise, due to lack of sponsorship/ad pulls. Alas! The sacrfice of GOOD entertainment in the name of profitability. Boooooo!!
[unsnip]

R&B. Ugh!

Hitz.fm, MixFM, Era, Radio 4, THR, whatnot. I would flip through the stations just to find something I could bear listening to, whatever the station. More often than not, I'd flip though the whole frequency range twice over before giving up in maddening frustration and switching the *#*%* damned thing off.. only to switch it back on again bare seconds later in the vain hope that I might find something halfway decent to listen to this time around. All in vain, I tell you.

It's worse when popular music goes through a phase. A while back there was a Rap/R&B/Gangsta/I'm-Tough-Black-Music-You-Bitches-Worship-At-The-Altar-Of-My-Bling phase. God, what the fuck was that about?!!! And then not only does ONE station (read: hitz.fm) play them on an unending loop, but in a bid to be as 'cool' as hitz.fm, ALL the other stations play the fecking same thing over and over again as well! Aaaaaargh! Have these people never heard of VARIETY?!!! The only station I find halfway bearable is Red104.9. Which is why I invested in a kick-ass player (best I could afford anyways), so I could listen to songs I liked while I drove. I'm in control baby!!!!

Ahem.

Hence, after losing *ahem* misplacing my CD case for a week after the car came out of the workshop, I cringingly gave in to the inevitable. When I say I need music, I really need music y'all, and I figured it was worth a tiny risk .. and y'know what? It wasn't too bad. I still, from time to time, was forced to do the quick station-shuffle, but all in all, it wasn't too bad. Thankfully, I'm now able to give it up seeing as how I've recovered my precious cache. Aaaah, you never know what you had until you've lost it. Too true. :o)

But on my short week listening to public radio, I came across this song. The melodics are so simple, the lyrics so juvenile. Yet, its simplicity is its charm.

It reminds me of being a teenager in love. I suppose the song is about a teenager in love. Heck, I only just watched the video for it this afternoon and the singer IS a kid still! And the song: the promises so naive, the sentiments so .. uncomplicated that they could actually be taken at face value. It reminds me of being in love when I was in school. What did I know of love then? Ptish! Everything about love seemed so simple then, not the way love is as an adult now, so much more complicated.

Yet, I listen to the song and its amazing simplicity stands out. The song is certainly not shallow for it, and its simplicity strikes at something profound in me. Maybe love is not meant to be complicated at all, and maybe love should be as simple as this.

Maybe love is.


I know that you are something special
To you I'd be always faithful
I want to be what you always needed
Then I hope you'll see the heart in me

I don't want another pretty face
I don't want just anyone to hold
I don't want my love to go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul
You're the one I wanna chase
You're the one I wanna hold
I wont let another minute go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul

Your beautiful soul, yeah
You might need time to think it over
But im just fine moving forward
I'll ease your mind
If you give me the chance
I will never make you cry c`mon lets try

Am I crazy for wanting you
Baby do you think you could want me too
I don't wanna waste your time
Do you see things the way I do
I just wanna know if you feel it too
There is nothing left to hide

I don't want another pretty face
I don't want just anyone to hold
I don't want my love to go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul
You're the one I wanna chase
You're the one I wanna hold
I wont let another minute go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul

Your beautiful soul, yeah

~ Beautiful Soul - by Jesse McCartney


And this song is dedicated to Min, who has one of the most beatifullest souls I know. *huuuugz*

~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

Feeling:

No comments:

Post a Comment

One potato, two potato, three potato... go!