Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Simplest Things

I used to think I knew what I wanted. I suppose I still kind of do, but is it everything I need?

I want a nice, huge house. I want to have my own jet so I can fly to Switzerland should I fancy. I want a jacuzzi in my backyard. I want a humongous library, crammed chock-full with books. But do I really need any of it?

But it'd be silly comparing deep-seated desires to material ones. Nevertheless, the premise remains: do I really need everything I want?

And do I know what it is I really need?

Most times I think I don't. I'm just beginning to realise how much I don't. And only when it hits you like a face-first belly-flop off a 5-foot springboard into the pool do you realise how much you've been needing it. And by the time you realise it, just pray and be grateful it is not too late.

You take so many things for granted when you think what you want is what you need.


"
DANTE: Veronica.

JAY: Is she that girl who's down here all the time? She came here today carrying a plate of food.

DANTE: Lasagne.

JAY: And what - you were gonna dump her to date that Caitlin chick?

DANTE: Maybe.

JAY: I don't know dude. That Caitlin chick's nice. But I see that Veronica girl doing shit for you all the time. She brings you food, she rubs your back...Didn't I see her change your tire one day?

DANTE: I jacked the car up. All she did was loosen the nuts and put the tire on.

JAY: Damn. She sure goes out of her way.

DANTE: She's my girlfriend.

JAY: I've had girlfriends, but all they wanted from me was weed and shit. My grandma used to say, "Which is better: a good plate with nothing on it..." No, wait. I fucked up. She said "What's a good-looking plate with nothing on it?"

DANTE: Meaning?

JAY: I don't know. She was senile and shit. Used to piss herself all the time. C'mon Silent Bob.

(pause)

SILENT BOB: You know, there's a million fine-looking women in the world, but they don't all bring you lasagne at work. Most of them just cheat on you.
"
~Clerks~


~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

Feeling:

No comments:

Post a Comment

One potato, two potato, three potato... go!