Friday, June 18, 2004

THE Wedding of the Year!

Today, an old friend is getting hitched. Ms. S (soon to be Puan S) and me, we've known each other a loooong time, starting way back in primary school and all through high school. Despite that, I can't claim we've ever been close. I think it's got a lot to do with her being the Classy Lady, as opposed to my brashness. Hehe. But despite the difference, we've always been on good terms, and she's marrying a good man, and I'm so happy for her! :)

Last night was her malam berinai. I made the embarassing mistake of thinking it would be a small, private affair of girlfriends gathering, gossipping, having fun, getting all weepy and sentimental, and wishing the bride well, as is the custom with other Malay weddings. A kind of intimate gathering of girls for the last time before one of them finally became a Woman. Boy, was I wrong!

Like I said to MzMin, we should have known better!! This is the marriage of the children of two of the most prominent families in Malaysia, so what the hell was I thinking dressing down for the occassion??! I should have known that there's no such thing as private and intimate with a wedding of this magnitude! Argh.

Yes, I am vain, up to a point. I believe in dressing well, and dressing to suit an occasion. Never have I over-dressed nor under-dressed for any occasion. I have been guilty of minor breaches, but never too severely. (We can blame this on my upbringing. My mother is a stickler for propreity. I thank her for that.) But yesterday! Oh. My. God. I was soooo under-dressed to the point of being practically UNdressed! The little kids running around were better dressed than me! Thank goodness for this huuuuge wall I could hide behind! Needless to say, we didn't stay for very long. (Apologies to MzMin for that. Sorry, dahlink!)

*Sigh* The one time I under-dress, I do it to monumental proportions.
Me: Eh, apesal tudung-tudung makciks ni mamancar-mancar, hah?
Idiot.

Okay, it might not be that big a deal to you, but it was to me. There are certain things you take pride in, it might be your work with some people, it might be your ability to give good speeches, whatever! And to err so dramatically in it... Well. It's a huge blow. I've rarely been soooo embarassed ever! Aiya ... Yes, yes, I know that there are other more important things, but dressing appropriately is important to me too! *huff* *preen* ;)

Adoooi ... I've learned my lesson. This is THE Wedding of the Year. I shall be pulling out all stops tonight, and tomorrow, and Sunday. It's no longer a matter of dressing to the nines, it's dressing to the elevens! I'm going for the kill, babeh! Lolz ...

But tonight (and the weekend) is not about me. It's about celebrating the marriage and happiness of a friend. It's about sharing her joy, and giving her just as much in return. It's about wishing her well, and helping her start off her marriage the best and most joyful way possible, and may that joy be everlasting.



My Japanese name is Hachemon Asahara.
Take The Kawaii Japanese Name Generator by Shuichigami today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Name Generator Generator.

I sound like Doraemon's cousin. Hehe...


No comments:

Post a Comment

One potato, two potato, three potato... go!