Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The Benefits of Retail Therapy

Everywhere I turn nowadays friends are getting married/engaged/having babies. This recent spate of .. umm … other people’s joy(s) have had a morose, inversely proportional effect on me. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that I’m not happy for them. I am! I’m just … not happy for me.

Sigh. Selfish of me to be concerned with poor-poor-me thoughts, I know, but it’s .. inevitable, I think. Everyone’s getting married! I feel left out! I wanna get married too!!! *ahem* Uh .. no, not really. Just a little bit of childish-foot-stamping-tantrum humour there. :o) Eh heh. I’m nowhere near ready to be making commitments and handling responsibilities of that sort. I need to grow up a bit more first. *winkz*

Nevertheless, it all got me feeling a little blue .. compounded by a few other recent happenings as well. So what does a girl do when she’s down in the dumps? *drum roll, please*

GO SHOPPING!!!! Of course. *winkz*

Aaaah .. nothing like a spot of retail therapy to cheer a girl up. It’s one of those things men will never be able to understand. Well, okay, I do happen to know some men who understand the healing properties of making completely frivolous purchases, but they’re (mostly) gay (or are simply in denial as to their sexuality), so they don’t count. ;o)

For all you girls, there really isn’t any need for me to expound on the subject, is there? For the guys, however … I don’t know. There really isn’t an explanation as to why spending money makes us feel so much better. Maybe it’s the thrill of having something new that’s uplifting. Maybe the money is in some way representative of our worries, and that by exchanging the cash for something else, it’s as though we’re exchanging our sorrows for something better. Something cheering. Something of our own choosing. …. Or maybe it’s solely the satisfaction of fulfilling our greed for material possessions. Ha ha! But whatever the reasons, shopping makes us feel GOOD. *G*

I don’t know. It seems that for guys, the (usually) most effective way to lepas geram is through physical exertions (I mean sports, weights, gym, martial arts .... what were you thinking?!?!!!! *G*), but in recent years, I’ve discovered that shopping is a highly effective way for me to let off some steam. A very costly method, admittedly, but hey, whatever works, right? And it’s a lot more therapeutic (not to mention damaging to your purse!) to do it with someone who’s just as shop-happy as you! (Read: gay best friend. We shall, for future reference, call him Mr. Mucho.) *G*

Inventory of What I Bought Today
1. 1 dress shoe, 3 slippers.
2. Cutesy .. err .. 'essentials' from Topshop and a Stila Smudge Pot.
3. Lomograph
4. T-shirt from Radioactive.
5. Totally over-priced dinner for 2.

Item(s) 1: I needed a pair of nice shoes for formal/semi-formal ocassions, 2 slippers for casual wear, 1 novelty-slippers for the beach. But I don’t really need an excuse to buy shoes. Men, take note: A woman can never have enough shoes. (I don’t think Ikram needs this lesson, tho. Hee hee heeeee..)

Item(s) 2: Feel good, pick-me-up items. Things completely unnecessary, but make us feel good having. In other words, Comfort Items. ;o)

Item 3: My sister’s 21st bday present. She’s been mad about Lomography for a while now, so it was a wonderful find. Was having a time thinking of a good gift, and found it completely by chance. I think it’s called Serendipity.

Item 4: I needed clothes. I always need clothes.

Item 5: Hey, it was a day of indulgence, and since Mr. Mucho was sweet enough to watch “Troy” again with me (despite him thinking it’s a crap movie) just because I wanted to watch it sooooooo bad, well. I couldn’t think of a more perfect way to end the day.

Oh. Troy. “The Face That Launched a Thousand Ships” was NOT Helen of Sparta neé Troy’s. It was Orlando Bloom’s!! Aiyoooooh! Could that boy be any more beautiful??!?!!! It’s obscene how gorgeous he is!! That kind of face should come with a Public Health Warning! "U" rating, indeed! And it’s not just him. Eric Bana (my new Hunk-of-the-Month), Brad Pitt, Sean Bean … they’re ALL in the SAME movie!! This officially makes “Troy” the FIRST movie in the history of movie-making where the male actors are waaaaay prettier than the ladies! Adoi … That movie had me swooning every 4 minutes. Total babe-fest! Hee hee heeeeeee ….

That aside though, it was a good movie. A tad slow in some places, a few slap-my-forehead-what-the-hell-kind-of-script-writing-is-this moments, but overall, it was a well-paced movie, very high on the entertainment level, if, erm, watching people being butchered is your idea of entertainment. Also, I’ll have to disagree with Mr. Mucho who thought the acting was wooden. I thought the acting wasn’t too bad, if you overlook the fact that despite them being Greeks, they spoke in a hodgepodge of accents ranging from English to Scottish to American, and one very confused Belgian/English/American/Australian accented Helen.


Aiya! I'm not doing too good a job of giving it a glowing review, am I? It's good, lah!

I definitely recommend the movie. Just make sure you visit the loo beforehand. Running time is 2 hours 57 minutes. (Apa daaa … Cakap je lah 3 hours!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

One potato, two potato, three potato... go!