Thursday, May 27, 2004

The Accounting Seminar

WARNING: INCOHERENT RANT AHEAD!!

So, I've been at this Accounting Seminar for 2 days .. and am extremely miffed! Apesal dengan orang Melayu nih? Humility is all and good, and sometimes, so is being self-effacing and modest, but these people take it to new heights! Being in this seminar with 19 other Malay 'entrepreneurs' has tested my tolerance for such things almost to the limit!

Nobody wants to do anything first. Okay lah, I'm like that too, but when asked to do something, come on, you have to get out there and do it the best you can. Thing is, nobody here seems like their even bothering to try!!

Okay lah, not everybody. In a class of 20, I can only think of .. 6 people who have confidence enough to do anything. But of the 6, two of them are soooo adamant that whatever they're saying is right .. when in actual fact, half of what they say is completely inaccurate. The rest of it is pure bollocks. They are both men. This will be ranted on a bit later, but henceforth, all mentions of 'everybody' will refer to the rest of the class, including the Two Idiots.

Apesal dengan Melayu nih? They are so afraid to put out an opinion, and sometimes when their suggestion is voted out by the group, they completely shut down and clam up for the rest of the session. Macam mana lah dia boleh jadi entrepreneur? How do they survive the supposedly dog-eat-dog business world? And not only that, kulit nipis lak tu. Cakap sikit, melenting. Tegur sikit, merajuk. Kalau orang suruh dia buat macam tu, macam tuuuuu je lah. *Sigh*

Was it because our generation was brought up differently? Or is it geography, that the way our parents brought us up is the result of them living in the city/kampung/hulu-tempat-jin-bertendang? Nak kata they are from a different generation pun, it doesn't seem a plausible excuse. (A handful of them are my mum's age, 50s, and others in their 30s with a few of us 20-somethings.) After all, my mum isn't a cowed mouse. She brought us up the way we turned out, after all!

Tak tahu lah. Nak kata only the Melayu are like this is not totally accurate. Yet, you kind of notice that it's mostly the Malays who possess this characteristic. It is highly evident in the products of sekolah asrama, most especially - and most frustratingly - in the girls.

I would not call myself a feminist. I don't go around burning my bras. I love my bras. They make me feel so incredibly feminine, a feeling which I relish in. But whenever I don't feel like wearing one, well, I don't wear it. So what of other people's opinion? Some might say it's actually UNfeminine, that it's indecent. It's not like I'd go around in a super-transparent top when I'm not wearing a bra, and hey, I am a Woman, and nobody knows more about being feminine than Me. Besides, nobody has any right to assert any unsolicited opinions about Me on me.

Which brings me to my second rant: Why the F*ck does any woman allow any man to assert his dominance over her? Being obedient and respectful to your husband, father, uncle, elders, etc. is one thing. Allowing men to bully you is a wholly separate matter!!

Like these Two Idiots at the seminar. What in Hell makes them think that just because God gave them penises that it meant God gave them the right to Always Be Right? Maybe they do have extra brains stored in their little winkers. It is, perhaps, unfortunate that it is their dominant brain. Or maybe that one got shoved up their ass.

Like, really! *Huff* They give unsolicited opinions (kalau betul pun takpe. Nih semua merepek and totally inaccurate!), butt in whenever someone (usually a woman) is asking a question .. and worse, butt in with totally unnecessary and irrelevant interjections whenever someone (again, usually a woman) is answering a question! This goes far beyond being nosy and egoistical, it's downright rude! Almost overbearingly rude!

And what gives men the right to preside over women? Yelah, what it says in the Quran and all about men leading women, but should an incompetent man be allowed to lead more able and more competent women? Should a man who thinks he knows what he's doing be allowed to overrule women who know exactly what they're doing .. and doing it right! Why should we allow a bahlol to be the 'leader' by virtue of his accidental physical attributes???

I am not sexist. I don't believe women should always be right, or the leader. Things should be based on certain qualities, the criteria for which should be decided by the kind of situation faced. What it should not be based on are things like gender, seniority, and pangkat.

On the first day, the facilitator asked the class to elect a 'head', someone for the organizers to liase with. One woman was nominated, based on her making contact with every member of the group, eventhough we had only been there 3 hours. She was nominated, and elected by an almost unanimous vote. Did you know what the facilitator then did? He asked if the men weren't interested in being the Head instead. There were only 3 men present, including the husband of Elected Head. No, the group was happy with the decision. The other two men weren't interested? he asked again, almost plainitively. One shook his head outright, and said that he voted for Elected Head. "You, Helmy? Boleh? Boleh?" the Facilitator begged, almost on his knees. Biggest Idiot simpered and smiled and heh-heh-heh-ed, displaying all his tar-stained Chiclet bits, and said, "Boleeeeeeeeh, laaaaaaa...." Okay! Facilitator exclaimed, humour completely restored! Idiot Helmy can be the Ketua, and you at the back can be his deputy.

WTF? So much for asking the class to elect one! More importantly, that veto would not have happened had the elected been a man. I dare anybody to refute that. It was blatant sexism! Unfortunately, I remembered to mind my manners, and it was not polite to condemn organizers of the seminar upon the first meeting, I held my tongue. Anyway, we completely ignored Idiot Helmy, and all matters were directly addressed to the Woman Deputy. No, from the very beginning he did not impress us much. He continued .. and still continues! .. on in this vein, making him the Least Popular Participant. The dick. It doesn't help either that he's got the most gatal leer I've ever seen on a Malay man. He makes my skin crawl! *shivers*

*Sigh*

Yes, I know not all Malays are like this. I know not all Men are like this. They are not Men, they are Assholes - a totally separate species. I know not all Malay men are like this, ditto all Malay women. I have been extremely fortunate with regards to the people I meet and interact with. I know many intelligent and personable Malay men and women, regardless of their level of education. I also thank God that I know more intelligent people than I know meek, unthinking idiots. I think I would expire from frustration otherwise!

The seminar ends tomorrow, after final group presentations. Despite the fact that I don't have any formal training in Accountancy (barring Form 3 KH, of course), the seminar wasn't too difficult.

Oh, a little about the group presentations. We were divided into 4 groups of five, and Mr. Idiot Helmy was in mine. We were told to elect a Leader, this time by a very nice lady instructor, and guess who immediately began proceedings and delegating tasks, as if it was only natural that he was the leader. As was only natural this pissed me off to no end. (No surprise there..) I curtly reminded (nobody - and everybody - in particular) that we still had not elected a Leader. He blinked a few times, blinked a bit more, and while he blinked like a startled rabbit, I asked if there were any nominations. No? Not one? Nobody? (BTW, all the other team members are women.) They blinked at me a few times, said nothing, but nervously glanced En. Idiot Helmy's way. His face visibly unfroze and a melted smile gradually made a widening pool across his ham sap face. By then, I knew a little more about the other women to be able to push a few limits. I said, that well, since there were no nominees, I would like to nominate myself.

Heads and eyes whipped back in my direction, and after a few incredulous stares from the other ladies, they started smiling, and nodded their assent. I (tried) to smile sweetly at the quiet declarations of "I setuju." from the other ladies. It was a clear 4-to-1 majority vote. One jaw dropped, shut with a snap, gave me an oily smile, and said not a word.

Yes, I was the youngest, and yes, I had a lot of nerve, but at least I was balancing my spread sheets right. Little triumphs feel just as good.

..... Hmmm, maybe I do like politics after all. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

One potato, two potato, three potato... go!